The Time2Read sound wall aims to act as an anchor chart which learners reference during their reading and spelling journey. At Time2Read we believe that the classroom environment can serve as a strong tool for learners to move from dependence (all responsibility on the teacher) to independence (all responsibility on the child). The sound wall hence serves as a ‘go-between’ or ‘middleman’, displaying the sound/symbol learning in a clear and child friendly manner which is easy to reference for all learners. The TIme2Read sound wall
- is different to a finished, bought sound wall.
- is structured and groups all learning into logical categories. The vowel sounds of English are categorized as follows
- Short vowels, colour coded
- Long vowels, colour coded
- Extra vowels, colour coded
- The position the vowel spellings appear in English words.
- Starts as an empty skeleton
- Displays symbols as they are taught, hence all symbols displayed on the wall are understood by each learner.
- Is developed WITH the learners, the teacher may act as a scribe, but the class brainstorms together.
- Is used daily as reference. Should children struggle to recall a symbol, they know how to reference the chart and therefore only need teacher assistance in rare cases.
- Should be passed on to the next teacher ensuring a familiar context for the new year.